Tuesday, May 19, 2009

More Pottery- Florida Native Plants

I have a commission to do a set of plates depicting Florida Native Plants, and ones that are found easily in our area, SW Florida...The rims and backs will feature my typical borders and patterns: .. ..the centres will feature 1 or 2 native plants in a natural setting, sort of botanical, with a Florida landscape depicted in the background. Charming!
This is a Loblolly Bay:


The larger plates are quite big 11.25" and the smaller ones are 8'' or 10" I think, which nestles nicely inside the larger, and the 2 rims complement each other.

Bomba is SO helpful.



This is a fun project, and the plates are turning out really well.
You can click on some of these images to larger!


Wild Sunflower



Railroad Vine and Beach Morning Glory (unfired):


Horse Tail:



Lizard's Tail and East Palatka Holly.
This is Coral Honeysuckle:
The Beauty Berry plate turned out particularly well...here un fired

And here, fired.




Sadly, in the firing, there has been some breakage... I am extremely upset and don't want to talk about it.
However, that's pottery! Firing is a crazy thing, and I have always been very fortunate, and consistent with my results...

and I don't get much breakage.... maybe I will learn something from this event....in the meantime, I take a deep breath, maybe several, and prepare to re-do a few of these beautiful plates, and in the end, look forward to it, since they are most agreeable to work on. It's not really the end of the world, like I thought it was at first.

1 comment:

Pivli Gosli said...

Where are you? I miss your updates!